Brent landlord prosecuted after 16 people found crammed in an unsafe and unlicensed HMO
A landlord who had sixteen tenants living in just one property on Lechmere Road, Willesden has been fined for a second time for not obtaining the correct property licence. The sixteen tenants had the use of just one kitchen, two WC’s and one shower room that they all shared.
On 23 June 2015, Douglas Gerard-Reynolds was ordered to pay £8,643, which included a £6,500 fine, costs and other charges, by Willesden Magistrates Court.
The prosecution followed an inspection of the property by Brent Council Officers who found sixteen tenants living at the property that was in a bad condition with dangerous electric wiring and an unsafe ceiling that could have collapsed.
In April 2015, Mr Gerard-Reynolds became the first landlord to be fined for failing to have a licence for a different property in Cricklewood (details of previous case here).
Councillor Margaret McLennan, Lead Member for Housing and Development at Brent Council said:
“This is exactly why we introduced the landlord licensing schemes this year – to protect people who rent in Brent. This case should serve as a deterrent to any landlords who are dragging their feet when asked to apply for a licence.
“The licensing scheme is vital for the protection of vulnerable tenants, many of whom are unaware of their housing rights“.