London landlord given suspended prison sentence for gas safety failings

Tuesday, March 22nd, 2016 - Health and Safety Executive

London-based landlord, Duran Akbulut, has been given an eight week suspended prison sentence for gas safety failings.

Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard how Duran Akbulut had failed to have a gas boiler checked for safety by a suitably qualified engineer and obtain the necessary safety certificate from the Gas Safe Register.

The boiler was in a property in Park Royal NW10 that was being privately rented. The tenant raised concerns about a carbon monoxide leak and the National Grid switched off the gas supply. The tenant made a complaint to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

Duran Akbulut of Kingshill Avenue, Kenton, London, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 36(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and was given an eight week prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, was ordered to pay £80 victim surcharge and contribute £300 in costs to HSE.

HSE inspector, Neil Fry said:

It is the duty of landlords to ensure gas safety checks are carried out to protect tenants from the fatal risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

For further information on Gas safety visit: