Our barristers specialise in the law of mandatory, additional and selective licensing under the Housing Act 2004. We are instructed by local authorities, landlords and occupiers nationwide to provide expert advice about licensing issues, and represent clients in some of the most complex cases before the courts and tribunals.
Expert legal advice
The issues about which we advise include:
- the interpretation and application of licensing legislation
- licensing consultations, designations, policies, practices and fees
- the obligations and liabilities of those managing or having control of houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) and other accommodation
- licence applications, refusals, variations, revocations and conditions
- licensing enforcement, whether by prosecution, financial penalty, rent repayment order etc.
We provide specialist advocacy before all courts and tribunals, whether prosecutions in the Magistrates’ Court, appeals before the First-tier and Upper Tribunals, judicial reviews in the Administrative Court, or appeals before the Divisional Court and higher appellate courts.